The NABU Detectives have started pre-trial investigations as of 64 cases in April 2020. 12 persons were given notices of suspicion of committing corruption crimes. The indictments as of 4 persons were sent to court. These are the results of NABU activities as of April 2020.
In particular, in April notices of suspicion were given to:
- four persons who supervised and ensured operating of “Optimumspetsdetal” LLC - they are suspected of tax evasion on an especially large scale and legalization of profits from crime (Part 3 Article 212 and Part 3 Article 209 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- former Deputy Minister of Defense and the Director of the Department of Military-Technical Policy for the Development of Armaments and Military Equipment of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, who suspected of abuse of office, which caused UAH 17.44 million losses;
- Head of tender committee of the “Myrnohradvugillya” SE, the tenth suspect, who probably involved in the scheme of causing UAH 51.17 million damages to three coal mining State Enterprises (Part 4 Article 28, Part 5 Article 191, Part 1 Article 255 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- General Director of the SE, who is suspected of giving an improper advantage to the Acting Head of the State Agency of Ukraine for Exclusion Zone Management (Part 4 Article 369 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- Odesa City Mayor, suspected of submitting false data to e-declaration of 2017 (Article 366-1 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- Head of the Investigation Department of Financial Investigation Tax Police of the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine of one of Regions and his intermediary, suspected of demanding and receiving of improper advantage from the founder of a private company for decision-making in a criminal proceeding (Part 4 Article 368 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- former Director of the “Ukrainian State Research and Design Institute of Nitrogen Industry and Organic Synthesis Products” SE, suspected of embezzlement of UAH 67.3 million (Part 5 Article 191 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
In addition, the NABU Detectives completed investigations as of number of criminal proceedings. Among them there are following:
- fraud and incitement to giving an improper advantage by the Deputy Minister of the Temporary Occupied Territories and Internally Displaced Persons of Ukraine, as well as his “assistant”, who are suspected of possession of someone else's funds in a particularly large amount by deceit (Part 4 Article 190; Part 4 Article 27, Part 2 Article 15, Part 3 Article 369; Part 4 Article 27, Part 2 Article 15, Part 4 Article 369 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- causing UAH 2.49 million damages to the Berdyansk branch of the "Ukrainian Sea Ports Authority" SE (Part 2 Article 28, Part 2 Article 364, Part 1 Article 366 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- embezzlement of UAH 92 million from Odesa City budget during purchasing of the buildings of the "Holding Company Krayan OJSC" - four suspect (Part 5 Article 191, Part 3 Article 209 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- causing UAH 2.2 million damages to the Foreign Intelligence Service of Ukraine (Part 2 Article 364 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- giving an improper advantage to the Head of the State Property Fund of Ukraine (Part 4 Article 364 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- investigation as of the facts of UAH 93 million public funds embezzlement of the “Ukrzaliznytsia” by the Member of Parliament of Ukraine (Part 3 Article 27, Part 5 Article 191of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
On April 16, 2020, the Court of Appeal of High Anti-Corruption Court made the decision on recovering half of the bail in the amount of UAH 35 million to the State from the suspect involved in a corruption scheme at customs.
After the NABU Detectives started their investigation, over UAH 1.65 million of the compensation received unreasonably for rental housing or hotel rooms in Kyiv was returned by the Members of Parliament (MP) of the VIII convocation.
In addition, in April, the former MP was found guilty of illegally receiving compensation for the house rent. The High Anti-Corruption Court imposed imprisonment to three years with a probationary period of three years, the deprivation of the right to hold public office for one year, UAH 17 thousand fine and reimbursement of more than UAH 12 thousands for the costs of the examinations carried out during the investigation. The ex-MP has already refunded illegally received UAH 582 thousands.
In total, as of early May, the NABU Detectives investigate corruption crimes within 900 criminal proceedings.