As of the end of April 2019, the Detectives of the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) under the procedural guidance of the prosecutors of the Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor`s Office (SAPO) brought 490 persons to criminal liability. Among them, there are 165 suspects and 325 accused persons of committing criminal corruption offenses under the NABU jurisdiction.
In particular, in April, the NABU Detectives gave notices of suspicion to:
- two judges exposed on receiving an improper advantage: a judge of the Malinovsky District Court of Odesa and a judge of the Rakhiv District Court of the Zakarpattia Region. They suspected of committing crimes under Part 3 Article 368 (Accepting an offer, promise or receiving an improper advantage by an official who occupies a responsible position) of the Criminal Code Ukraine;
- former Director General of the State-owned Specialized Enterprise "Chernobyl Special Combine" suspected of involvement in 994 thousand UAH funds embezzlement of the Specialized Enterprise (Part 2 Article 364 (Abuse of authority or office of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
In addition, in April, at the Boryspil International Airport the NABU Detectives detained the Head of the Board of PrJSC “Energomerezha Holding Company”, suspected of causing 346 million UAH damage to the state. He was extradited from Germany to Ukraine. Due to the fact that location of the official was unknown, the notice of suspicion was given to him according to Article 278, Article 135 of the Criminal Procedural Code of Ukraine.
During April 2019, the NABU completed the investigation of four criminal proceedings. Among other things, the NABU Detectives investigate the following facts:
- misappropriation of six land plots by the Deputy of the Kyiv City Council — Part 5 Article 191, Part 3 and Part 4 of Article 358 (Misappropriation, embezzlement or conversion of property by the abuse of office) of the Criminal Code of Ukraine;
- causing more than 68.72 million UAH damage to the State Enterprise “Ukrainian Television Film Studio “Ukrtelefilm” (Part 3 Article 27, Part 2 Article 364, Parts 1, 4 Article 358, Part 3 Article 209 (Abuse of authority or office) of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
The suspects had been granted with access to the documents of the pre-trial investigation. Then the indictments will be drawn up and sent to court.
Currently 196 cases of the NABU and SAPO are under trial in courts. Within 196 cases, 325 persons are accused of committing crimes. In April the status of accused was received by the following persons:
- a representative of the international Grain Trader involved in causing losses to the PJSC “State Food and Grain Corporation of Ukraine” (SFGCU) in the amount of more than 60 million USD (more than 1.6 billion UAH) — Part 5 Article 27 Part 3 Article 369, Part 5 Article 27 Part 4 Article 190, Part 3 Article 209 (Accepting an offer, promise or receiving an improper advantage by an official who occupies a responsible position) of the Criminal Code of Ukraine;
- a judge of the Court of Appeal of Cherkasy Region exposed on receiving an improper advantage in August 2018 — Part 2 Article 369-2 (Abuse of influence) of the Criminal Code of Ukraine.
The updated statistics of the NABU results are on the main page of the official website.
According to Article 62 of the Constitution of Ukraine a person is considered not-guilty in commission of crime and cannot be a subject to criminal punishment, until he or she is found guilty by the court.