The NABU Detectives have started pre-trial investigations as of 93 cases in January 2020. 36 persons are suspected of committing corruption crimes within criminal proceedings investigated by NABU and SAPO. Indictments as of 8 persons in 3 cases were sent to court. These are the results of NABU activities as of January 2020.
Two cases were sent to the High Anti-Corruption Court of Ukraine in January. There are cases as of the facts of causing USD 2.225 million damages to the "SpetsTechnoExport" SE and as of the facts of demanding and receiving an improper advantage by two officials of "Ukrgasvydobuvannia" PJSC.
In January 2020, the NABU Detectives exposed a number of officials on corruption. Among detainees there are:
- acting Head of the Main Department of the Regional State Tax Service of Ukraine and her Deputy (offering and giving USD 25 thousand of improper advantage (Part 3 Article 369 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- ex-Director of the utility company "Spetszhytlofond" (real estate fraud (Part 2 Article 364 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- three persons (exposed on giving USD 50 thousand of improper advantage to the Head of the State Property Fund of Ukraine (Part 4 Article 369 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- acting Head of one of the District Courts of Lviv Region (receiving an improper advantage (Part 4 Article 369 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
NABU and SAPO gave notices of suspicion to abovementioned persons.
In particular, in January notices of suspicion were also given to:
- ex-main Architect of Kyiv and Director General of the developer company suspected in causing UAH 9.3 million damages to the territorial community of Kyiv (Part 2 Article 364 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- five executives of the National Academy of Agrarian Sciences of Ukraine suspected of the misappropriation of 15 hectares of land in the suburbs of Kyiv (Part 5 Article 191, Part 3 Article 15 Part 5 Article 191 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- ex-Member of Parliament (MP) of Ukraine and ex-judge of the Vyshgorod District Court of Kyiv Region, who submitted false data to e-declarations (Article 366-1 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- four persons involved in embezzlement of UAH 92 million from Odesa Сity budget during purchasing of the buildings of the "Holding Company Krayan OJSC" (Part 5 Article 191, Part 3 Article 209 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- ex-Director of one of the utility companies, who is suspected of causing UAH 12.87 million damages to the State (Part 2 Article 364 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- six persons, allegedly involved in the embezzlement and legalization of more than UAH 54.179 million from the state budget of Ukraine (Part 5 Article 191, Part 3 Article 209 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- ex-Deputy President of the State Corporation involved in a scheme of misappropriation of the property of the National Guard of Ukraine (Part 5 Article 27, Part 5 Article 191 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- five persons involved in causing UAH 21.36 million damages to the State Enterprise "Ukrainian Sea Ports Authority" (Part 2 Article 364 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- a person for refusal to testify (Part 1 Article 385 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
In January, the former Deputy Minister of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine in the administration of former President Viktor Yanukovych was extradited from Georgia. This pre-trial investigation the NABU Detectives started after transferring case files from the PGО in January 2020.
In addition, in the last month the Supreme Court ruled important decisions. According to one of them, the court invalidated illegal agreement that allowed embezzling UAH 300 million of "Energorynok". In addition, in January, the Supreme Court confirmed that claims filed by NABU until June 5, 2019 (before the decision of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine, which deprived NABU of the said right) are legal.
According to Article 62 of the Constitution of Ukraine a person is considered not-guilty in commission of crime and cannot be a subject to criminal punishment, until he or she is found guilty by the court.