NABU Detectives have started pre-trial investigations in 41 criminal proceedings, notified 17 persons of suspicion, and filed 8 indictments against 13 people. These are the results of NABU’s work in August 2021.
The following persons were notified of suspicion:
- a member of the Commission for the Regulation of Gambling and Lotteries, who accepted a USD 90 thousand bribe for assistance in issuing gambling permits and licenses;
- eight participants in the corruption scheme to embezzle more than UAH 26,8 million from the city budget during the reconstruction of Soborna Square in Mykolaiv;
- the Chairman of the Kharkiv Regional Council who accepted a UAH 1.05 million bribe;
- the director of one of the Kharkiv region state forestry enterprises and the head of a company under the director's control (his relative). Both are charged with misappropriating wood worth over UAH 50 million.
In addition, NABU completed investigations in several cases with the following suspects:
- the director of one of Kharkiv's utility companies;
- the former Chairman of the Board of Ukragroleasing NJSC and his accomplice, the head of a private company;
- a judge of the Dnipropetrovsk District Court in Dnipropetrovsk region.
NABU and SAPO have completed a probe of an ex-judge of Dniprovskyi District Court of Kyiv, who demanded and received a USD 150,000 bribe for passing an illegal ruling. Since 2016 the suspect had been wanted until detectives detained him at Kyiv's Feofania Hospital this August.
During the last month of summer, the National Bureau filed a number of indictments. The accused persons are:
- the head of a private enterprise, one more participant in the corruption scheme to steal granulated sugar worth UAH 211.65 million owned by the State Specialized Budgetary Institution "Agrarian Fund";
- the ex-Pivdendiproshakht SE acting director and his deputy charged with embezzling UAH 7 million;
- the former chief of the National Police in Odesa region, his ex-deputy and two heads of private companies, accused of illegally seizing a large batch of tobacco products previously withdrawn from illicit trafficking;
- one more participant in the scheme to embezzle UAH 92 million from the Odesa Сity budget during the purchase of Krayan Plant buildings;
- an MP and his accomplice accused of extorting and taking an illegal benefit;
- an ex-SBU senior investigator in Odesa region, who extorted and received a USD 80 thousand bribe.
According to Article 62 of the Constitution of Ukraine, a person is considered non-guilty in the commission of a crime and cannot be subject to criminal punishment until he or she is found guilty by court.