In October 2021, NABU launched investigations within 44 criminal cases, served 22 notices of suspicion, and filed five indictments regarding nine persons. Two conviction in respect of three persons came into force. Last month the Detectives exposed:
- three persons suspected of embezzling Ukrzaliznytsia PJSC funds to the amount of UAH 11.8 million;
- 16 persons suspected of embezzling the assets of the Odesa territorial community and laundering the illegally obtained income.
In October, NABU completed investigations regarding:
- the former Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources under President Yanukovych suspected of attempted bribery of the leadership of anti-corruption agencies to close criminal proceedings against him;
- the former acting director of a state enterprise and the Head of the Main Department of the State Geocadastre in Vinnytsia region suspected of stealing 17.11 hectares of especially valuable land, which caused UAH 11.6 million in damage to the State;
- the former Head of the Explosives Department of the National Police and an accomplice in the crime - a private entrepreneur suspected of receiving UAH 980 thousand;
- the former head and officials of Ukrinmash SE (a subsidiary of Ukroboronprom State Concern) charged with embezzling more than EUR 140 thousand.
The following persons were put on trial:
- four officials of PJSC "Cherkasyoblenergo", PJSC "Zaporizhzhyaoblenergo", and PJSC "HC "Energomerezha", who used an illegal scheme involving the assignment of claim rights, transfer of debt, and crediting of counter homogeneous claims in order to embezzle funds from state-owned enterprises and large electricity consumers;
- the acting head of one of the territorial departments of the State Service of Ukraine for Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre (StateGeoCadastre) and an intermediary, suspected of attempting to bribe the Head of the StateGeoCadastre with USD 25 thousand;
- 10 persons, involved in a corruption scheme that caused the state-owned Sea Commercial Port "Yuzhny" to suffer more than UAH 60 million in losses.
In addition, the High Anti-Corruption Court approved a plea deal in a NABU's case, sentencing the former head of a branch of JSC "State Food and Grain Corporation of Ukraine" to 3.5 years in prison. This is for the first time in HACC's history, when a person has got a real prison term after a plea deal and not a suspended sentence.
In October, NABU and the Inspectorate General of the Security Forces of the Czech Republic have agreed on cooperation and exchange of information in the field of prevention, detection and investigation of criminal corruption offenses.
Last month, NABU Director took part in the 2021 Economic and Environmental Dimension Implementation Meeting (2021 EEDIM), in Vienna. Artem Sytnyk spoke at the session of governance, transparency and accountability as key conditions for economic growth, trade, investment, and sustainable development that promote stability, security, and respect for human rights in the OSCE area.
The National Bureau jointly with Transparency International Ukraine and with the support of the International Renaissance Foundation have presented an educational series about the fight against corruption. It was titled "From corruption report to sentence" and launched via the National Digital Literacy Platform "Diia: Digital Education".
According to Article 62 of the Constitution of Ukraine, a person is considered non-guilty in the commission of a crime and cannot be subject to criminal punishment until he or she is found guilty by court.