The Detectives of the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) completed a pre-trial investigation of the criminal proceeding as of the facts of 14.5 million UAH public funds embezzlement while purchasing of engines for the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The indictment as of the officials of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the State Enterprise (SE) "Lviv Armor Vehicle Factor" was drawn up. On July 11, 2018, the prosecutors of the Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor`s Office (SAPO) sent the indictment to the Solomyansky District Court of Kyiv.
Among the suspects there are:
- the Head of the SE "Lviv Armor Vehicle Factory" (Part 5 Article 191 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine, Part 2 Article 366 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- the Deputy Financial Director of the SE "Lviv Armor Vehicle Factory" (Part 5 Article 191, Part 2 Article 366 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- the Head of the Armored Command Center (ACC) of the Armed Forces of Ukraine (Part 5 Article 191 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- the Head of the Unit within the management of the ACC of the Armed Forces of Ukraine (Part 5 Article 191 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine);
- founder of the Limited Liability Company "Bullet Line" (Part 5 Article 27 Part 5 Article 191 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
The investigation revealed that in 2015 the abovementioned officials in the conspiracy with the founder of the LLC and with the participation of others LLCs organized corruption scheme for procurement of spare parts and components for armored vehicles and equipment.
In 2015, the SE “Lviv Armor Vehicle Factory” had to supply 40 new engines B-46-6 for T-72 tanks of ACC of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The SE received 28.56 million UAH from the ACC of the Armed Forces. According to the documents, the Lviv Armor Vehicle Factory purchased engines at LLC "Bullet Line" and supplied for the ACC of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. In fact, as the investigation revealed, the engines were supplied from a third party without any documents. According to the corruption scheme the ACC of the Armed Forces of Ukraine purchased engines for T-72 tanks that were previously in use instead of the new ones. In addition, the used (and mostly defective) engines have already been sold to enterprises in the domestic market as excessive assets of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine in 2008-2009. According to investigation, the damage caused to the State amounted to 14.5 million UAH.
The NABU Detectives started the investigation in November 2016.
On July 14, 2017, the persons involved in the corruption scheme were given notices of suspicion.
In March 2018, the suspects and their defense were granted with access to the materials of the investigation.
If found guilty, the officials may face imprisonment up to 12 years with forfeiture of property and disqualification to hold certain positions or to be engaged in certain activities for up to three years.
According to the Article 62 of the Constitution of Ukraine a person is considered not-guilty in commission of crime and cannot be a subject to criminal punishment, until he or she is found guilty by the court.