From the very start of investigations, the Detectives of the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) and the prosecutors of the Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office (SAPO) have exposed more than 300 persons allegedly involved in the corruption crimes. Also 107 cases have already been sent to court. This was stated by the NABU Director Artem Sytnyk at the briefing «Presentation of the Report on the NABU results during the second half of 2017» on February 8, 2018.He underlined that pre-trial investigations as of the Chairman of the Accounting Chamber of Ukraine, the Former Head of the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine, the Former Head of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Fuel and Energy Complex were completed last year.
The cases as of the executives of large-scale State Enterprises were sent to court.
«We have proven there are no fully immune people in Ukraine. Despite the pressure we were facing for the last six months, we were steady in our fight against corruption, » the NABU Director stressed.
As a result of the NABU Detectives’ and the SAPO prosecutors’ work more than 250 million UAH public funds embezzlement (in comparison with 174 in 2017) were returned to the State. Nearly 2 billion UAH of public funds embezzlement was prevented.
The NABU Legal Department filed 35 lawsuits against invalidation of illegal agreements for a total amount of over 6 billion UAH. As a result, more than 130 million UAH has already been restored in favor of the State.
The lack of sentences became the main challenge for the NABU and the SAPO. There are no court decisions in more than 70% of cases.
«The indictment as of the ex-Head of the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine consists of almost 800 pages.The court ordered prosecutor to read it in full, while the court trials are scheduled once a month only. So, the case is to be considered for years. We do not have time for this. This is another evidence of the necessity to establish the Anti-Corruption Court as soon as possible," the NABU Director said.
In turn, the Head of the SAPO Nazar Kholodnitskiy called upon the Members of Parliament to retain from any delays in adoption of the Law on the Establishment of the Anti-Corruption Court and to allow the SAPO to increase the number of its staff.
«The number of proceedings is constantly increasing. This year the courts will receive no lesser cases than they did in 2017. The absence of the Anti-Corruption Court is not just a problem, but the problem that should have been already solved,» Nazar Kholodnitskiy said.
Infographics in HQ: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nab_ukr/albums/72157692679040884
Photos in HQ: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nab_ukr/albums/72157691512168311
Full presentation: report_2017.pdf