On May 24, 2021, NABU and SAPO notified six National Bank officials of suspicion of abusing their office by granting a UAH 1.2 billion stabilization loan to PJSC "VAB Bank" (Part 2 Article 364 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine). One more notice of suspicion (Article 191 of the CCU) was served to a representative of the appraiser company, which assisted the bank's beneficial owner in obtaining a stabilization loan. Thus, the total number of people involved in the scheme to misappropriate UAH 1.2 billion has reached 17 people.
The suspects* include:
- Deputy Head of the NBU Main Department in Kyiv and Kyiv region;
- Head of a department of the NBU Main Department in Kyiv and Kyiv region;
- Head of a division of the NBU Main Department in Kyiv and Kyiv region;
- Director of the NBU Legal Department;
- Director of NBU's Prudential Supervision;
- Chief Economist of the NBU Banking Supervision Department;
- Deputy Director of the company that reviewed the valuation of the bank's property.
* positions as of crime date
According to the investigation, in October 2014, PJSC "VAB Bank", classified as a problem bank, requested the NBU to provide a stabilization loan secured on real estate. Although VAB Bank did not submit all necessary documents, the Board of the National Bank, contrary to the law, granted the request.
At the same time, the value of the real estate pledged to the National Bank was overestimated almost 25 times with the help of forged valuation reports. Being aware of the facts and the lack of all necessary documents, NBU officials provided a UAH 1.2 billion two-year stabilization loan to VAB Bank, which the latter did not repay at the end of the period.
In November 2019, NABU and SAPO served notices of suspicion to 10 people, including the First Deputy Chairman of the NBU and the beneficial owner of VAB Bank.
According to Article 62 of the Constitution of Ukraine, a person is considered not-guilty in the commission of a crime and cannot be subject to criminal punishment until he or she is found guilty by court.